Head of Department: Mrs Rhonda Martin
Mathematics is a powerful and dynamic
discipline that has evolved within and across cultures. Our aim is to make
Mathematics an enjoyable and rewarding academic adventure by providing learning
experiences that stimulate and inspire students to engage and achieve, through
a problem solving focus that integrates technology in a range of practical
Years 7 - 10
All students must take Mathematics as one
of their five core subjects. There is a summit class in each year level. The
other class groupings have students of varying levels and teachers
differentiate their teaching to cater for all learning styles and the
individual students' needs. As their progress is assessed there may be movement
between classes over the four years.
Years 11 and 12
Authority subjects - Mathematics A,
Mathematics B, Mathematics C. Please note it is not possible to study
Mathematics C without also studying Mathematics B.
Non-Authority Subjects –Prevocational
More information on subjects can be found
in the Year level subject handbooks in the Enrolment section.
- Junior Summit Mathematics class - Year 7 - 9
students are challenged and extended with a range of enrichment activities
designed to further stimulate their interest in Mathematics.
- Year 10 Extension Mathematics- Designed for
students wanting to pursue Mathematics B and Mathematics C in Senior. This
course extends and challenges students above the general ACARA Mathematics
- Short Course in Numeracy - an alternative pathway
for Year 10 students, this Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority
approved course is the minimum acceptable standard required for numeracy
qualification in the Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE). Successful
completion allows for not enrolling in Mathematics in Years 11 and 12.
- Tutoring is held every Tuesday afternoon to give
further assistance to students across all year levels.
- 98% of students achieving at or above the
National Minimum Standard in NAPLAN testing.
- 2016 100% year 12 achieved their numeracy award
- 2016 100% year 12 pass Maths A and Maths B
Events and Activities
- Australian Mathematics Competition
- Year 8 Australian Problem Solving Mathematics
- Year 7, 9 QAMT Enrichment Day
- Year 8 MathsCraft Enrichment Day