Our school maintains a full-time Guidance Officer. Guidance Officers are experienced teachers who have post-graduate qualifications in guidance and counselling.
The Guidance Officer provides:
- guidance and advice on personal issues
- resources and advice on careers and courses
- personal development programs
- advice on mental health issues
- support in behaviour management of students and advice to parents/caregivers.
Students may self-refer or be referred by parents/caregivers, teachers or members of the administration. The Guidance Officer is able to extend beyond the teacher role and handle sensitive situations in a confidential manner. The Guidance Officer also maintains links with and can refer to outside agencies.
Areas of Operation
The role of a Guidance Officer is very broad and they are involved in many areas. These include:
- personal counselling
- assisting with behaviour management
- study skills development
- ascertainment of students with special needs
- career counselling and advice
- course information
- overseeing tertiary applications through QTAC
- information on jobs and how to get them
- case managing all students in care.